Thursday, March 12, 2009

Asian ATCs

Or "How to Make Scented Swaps". I started with wrappers from these beautiful soaps. Perhaps you've seen them at your favorite health food store or imports shop? BUY THEM! They smell good and make great art!
Voila! Asian ATCs! All I added was some rubber stamping. The ancient Chinese script is by Hampton Arts (2001) and the little geisha is by Rubber Dub Dub (1999). Anna is hosting this 7 for 7 swap for Christian Paper Artists.

I especially loved using the seals and wrapper (cumberbun) from the soap packaging. All of the paper retained the scent of the soap it wrapped so my ATCs smell delightful. They could even be used as sachets to sent a box or drawer!

On each ATC I also added some of the English endorsement from the soap's packaging (also written in French and Chinese). Things like, "made from selected materials", but the ingredients are never listed, so you just have to trust that it's good stuff. My favorite is, "our sincere recommendation is rather convincing". heehee
Now go make some art! I sincerely recommend it!



9 comments:

Linda Jo said...

Ohhhhh...I have those soaps!! I know I should've done this swap...I just can't keep up these days. I worked on my prayer dolls last night and my Easter banners yesterday. So much time spent in such small projects.I guess maybe they are serving a purpose in my life?

Shabby Chick said...

I don't think I could bear to unwrap one, but I love what you've done with the packaging :)

Mel xxx

eco said...

Hello! I am a Japanese.
The package of these soap is amazing. I'm so happy to see them.

Margaret said...

Think I'm gonna trade my Zutter in for some ATC's, love what you did with these wrappers, I know them well!

Shannon (Faith and Chocolate) said...

Oh Natahlie! I KNEW I wanted to join this swap! I guess I'm with Linda- I can't keep up these days... I LOVE your little Asian ATCs! Those soaps and ephemera from them is fabulous. Great job!
Hugs,
Shannon

~*~Patty S said...

OK! These are brilliant! I have Loved those soaps since forever, but never used the wrappers eventho that's why I bought the soap (it does smell good too) in the first place!

gunnelsvensson said...

Such a great idea !! I don´t think we have these soap here in Sweden but I will look for them :-)

Jeanie said...

Hi, Nathalie -- because of the dial-up I'm commenting on multiple posts, but first of all, this is a FABULOUS idea! I love those soaps just because of the wrappers, and I'm very fond of ALL things Asian. Splendid!

And the canvas tutorial -- thank you! When I get back to work in another week or so, I'm going to print this one out. Very easy-to-follow explanations.

And what a fun time you had! It's spring!

Ashlyn said...

I just absolutely LOVE these!! I have a recent fascination for all things Asian. I'm even trying to convince my brother to teach me Japanese!! Wish me luck :)

TTYL
Hugs, Ashlyn