Wednesday, April 4, 2012

How to Make a Zine

For the current Queen Bees swap, we decided to try our hands at zines.
We are each starting one and sending it around for the others to add to.
Mine is called, "Collections" and I created the zine's pages by starting with pages from an old stamp album.
They happen to be 8 1/2" x 11" so fit perfectly through a printer.
Can you see where I am going with this?
Although the girls can glue over anything they want in my zine, I didn't want to start them with stark, white, intimidating pages.


I layered images on my pages by running them through my copier (printer/scanner) multiple times.
In the above photo, I placed a panel of lace on the scanner bed, ran my stamp album page through once (black and white), changed the image on the scanner bed to a children's book illustration and ran the same photo album page through again in color.
But I didn't stop at flat images.
On this page I laid out my collection of old rusty compasses, backed the design with an old letter, and ran my stamp album page through the printer once.
On other pages I used a collection of scissors and scattered buttons.
This technique would also make a cool journal.
I'm thinking I might have to make one for myself, or as a gift to a fellow junker.
Once I decided I had "collaged" enough, I stacked my pages, folded them in half (so my finished zine will be 5 1/2" x 8"),
poked holes in the spine and tied them through to a simple cover made from a paper grocery bag.
I am all about reusing materials. 

Here I did my intro spread and a page about old postage stamps
(only one of the many things I collect and design with!)
On my intro page I allowed my printer collaged background to show through. 
On my postage stamp page I all but covered the images up.

I also attached a mini zine to my spread.
It's made by folding a piece of paper in half, then in half again.
I designed the cover and two inside pages.
I just attached it with a small smear of a glue stick, so I can remove it easily for reproduction.
I will simply unfold the mini zine, lay it flat on my printer/ scanner, make copies, cut and refold.
No staples.
I am thinking ahead to reproducing the pages, because when my zine comes home to me with everyone's contributions, I will cut my string binding, lay the pages flat on my scanner bed and easily make copies front and back.
Linda, Margaret, Carole and Patty (all in my side bar under "The Queen Bees"), will each get a copy of this zine.
And that's what a zine is...
a self published piece.

8 comments:

Margaret said...

looks fab Nathalie, your pages are already full of interest, can't wait to get may hands on it!
Mx

ps stark white pages heading your way, opps!!

Joanna said...

WON-DER-FUL! Your background pages are superb and so interesting in themselves without further embellishment. Great ideas.

x

Lorrie said...

I'm in awe at your creativity. I LOVE this idea!

Linda Jo said...

Can't wait to get my hands on this!!! Looks awesome.

~*~Patty S said...

looks like great fun...I could fill a book on what I seem to collect around here ...

everyone's themes are so different...hope you have fun with my "blank" medieval pages ;)
oxo

Unknown said...

That is just so cool ... I'm jealous of the Bee Club

ooglebloops said...

Love the layering and scanning look- that sums up collections perfectly!!!

Jill said...

A couple of years ago (already?) I perused the zines on Etsy and was so intrigued at the idea of these self published little magazines. I never did buy any. I'm not sure why. I suppose I just couldn't decide which one and then you move on to another interest. Your scanning to collage is brilliant! These zines will be fabulous!