Monday, May 3, 2010

Antique Botanist's Notebook or Biology Pad

"Study nature, not books." - Louis Aggasy
My mother acquired this amazing biology/ botany notebook from a college friend who was going to throw it out. I have taught her that stuff like this is gold so naturally, she offered to take it off her friend's hands. My mother at 70-something is still a student of the sciences herself, so I'm sure she was a little curious about the book anyway.
About 100 years ago, a young lady named Margaret L. Brown, pressed leaves and flowers and assembled them on about 69 pages of lined paper in a 2 ring binder, for a college class (I am guessing). She added observations and researched notes in neatly written fountain pen (or possibly dip pen?)



Some of the plant matter has crumbled or come loose from its tape, but an amazing amount is still intact. The pages facing opposite the plants have ghostly brown impressions of the plants on them.
An altered collage artist's dream find!



But I am not keeping the book. Nope. It is enough for me to say I have held it and turned the pages at one time. I am giving this incredible book up for sale in my etsy shop.


3 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

wow!! what a great find! this is just spectacular! I adore the bee and of course the flowers and handwriting is just awesome!! wonderful!!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

what a treasure!
the bee ... well you know how I feel about bees :)
Your Mom did good!
oxo

Jeanie said...

GO MOM! How cool to have your second set of eyes. This one is a treasure!