Friday, September 16, 2011

HOW TO Make Last Minute Bookmarks for a Crowd

Back in July I got a phone call from a woman who said my name was given to her as someone to call about Altered Books. She did not have a clue what they were about and so was intrigued. Would I come speak to the Higginsville Women's Club in September? I was flattered to be asked and relieved that I had two months to prepare.

Fast forward to this past Tuesday. The program was that evening and I wanted to create a "leave behind" as a souvenier for those who attended which would also have my contact info on it.
Yeah, I know I had two months to do it!
I decided on a bookmark and made 26 of them within 4 hours out of materials I had on hand (because procrastinating limits one's options!)

You are lucky that I had the foresight to take pictures of the process!


I tore pages out of one of my altered books that had pages to spare.

Folding them in thirds made the perfect bookmark width and a little glue(stick) made them "stay" while I designed on them.

First a collage stamp in Eggplant Envy.
Then a clock face in Really Rust (looks like a giant, round blob).





Vintage postage stamps added some much needed color-

my ink pad selection is limited.







Another collage stamp at the bottom...










Then my favorite part-- dulling my sewing machine needle on paper!

In the process of adding a decorative stitch to the bookmark, I also attached some frilly fibers at the top.










I added "ALTERED" (one last rubber stamp) as an after thought

then signed my name on the back in the clean space that was the book page's margin.

The program was a huge hit, as well as the bookmarks.

Several of the 20 women who attended told me, during the oatmeal cake and coffee, that they were inspired and couldn't wait to start a book of their own- or to get their grandkids/ niece/ nephew started on one.


I love inspiring people to try something new.
:)













17 comments:

Linda Jo said...

You are an inspiration! I do love these bookmarks.... I'm sure it was a wonderful class!!

Joanna said...

Well done you! How inspiring you must have been to enthuse the ladies so much they wanted to have a go at an altered book. The bookmarks are super and made at breakneck speed, phew!

x

Ann said...

my god woman...you are brilliant!!!
you are one amazing artist!!!
so quick and fabulous are these bookmarks!
going to borrow the idea if you don't mind!!!
you've inspired me to try something new!!!...as do all your posts!!!!!
have a happy weekend!!

ooglebloops said...

Love those bookmarks!! would have loved to attend the class!! You should do a follow up blog post - if you get to see what the ladies create!!!

Dianne said...

I love these! I have always made mine from card stock and decoupaged pages onto them... Great idea folding the pages into thirds! Saves on supplies and provides just the right weight!

Jill said...

Good for you! I bet this was fun and I know these ladies would have had a great time with you!

Cindy Leaders said...

Brilliant, Nat! You always come through shining! :)

~*~Patty S said...

Absolutely inspired and I Love how you rally and always rise (WAY HIGH) to the occasion!

I feel tingly and excited that you were able to touch so many lives with your special creativity dear N!

Brilliant use of book pages and you had me on the edge of seat all along the process...Love your bookmarks so so much!

I keep one sewing needle just for altered art...oh wait I don't sew REAL things anymore hah!

Happy weekend to you and yours
oxo

Unknown said...

That is awesome! You go girl!!!

carole brungar said...

haha, Miss N you win Procrastinator of the Year Award. Please collect in person! lol

Fab bookmarks!!

Yvonne said...

These are just great! Love the use of the book pages for a book mark.

Patty said...

I am so envious of those ladies that got to take a class from you!! I LOVE the bookmarks...did your jam arrive safely?!

Anonymous said...

How do you find the time? I know! You're using some of mine. :)

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Congrats on a successful class, Nathalie! I absolutely love these bookmarks. Beautiful! And guess what, your cards FINALLY arrived. I've posted about them today. Thank you so much. Best wishes, Tammy

Susan said...

Those bookmarks are super cute!

daysease said...

Brilliant ideas, lovely too... Thanks for sharing! Glad your outing went well and was appreciate by those inspired women. What a good feeling!! Hugs...

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

These are so spectacular....I love recycling from materials we already have and are working with. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen