Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pickin' Corder, Missouri

 
Today I went to my favorite junk shop in Corder (there is only one).
"Mahnken's Farm Supply", so called because it was once a hardware store.
Mr. Mahnken had opened some "new" auction boxes from his vast, cluttered, storage - a semi annual event at best- and I did not want to miss out on possibly restocking my own shop.
 
I picked up this souvenir ashtray, among other things.
I have never smoked and never plan to start, but
I love old trinkety souvenirs and since I live in Missouri, this selection was a no brainer.
 
 
It's old enough (pre-1960s) that the Arch is missing from St. Louis!
(There is a crude map of Missouri in the middle of the ashtray).
But the infamous Missouri mule has always been around.
 
********
I am in the process of listing new items. 
(The "among other things" I picked up today.)
Watch for an oven thermometer, a portable shaving mirror and brush, a pot metal pin dish from San Francisco, Calif.  (circa 1920s I am guessing) and a rusty, crusty sand shovel.
It was a great day pickin' at Mahnken's Farm Supply!

5 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I have never smoked ...but I love this ashtray!!! The details are superb! It sounds like you have had a great day thrifting!!! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

~*~Patty S said...

Looks and sounds like another wonderful rescue mission ... you are such a treasure magnet Missy!
oxo

Linda Jo said...

What fun!!! Do you think one day people will look at ashtrays and not know what they are? We can hope! ha!!!!

Caterina Giglio said...

looks like you had fun... did you send your project in to Stampington yet?

daysease said...

I never smoked either, but LOVE trinkets, too. I so get why you like this.