Rebecca has been sleeping on two mattresses piled on her bedroom floor because the bed I had in mind for her had rusted from years stored in a damp basement.
Husband: "Take it to the dump".
Me: "NOooo! It was the first bed I bought when I moved to Kansas City!"
(Therefore, it was an heirloom of sorts.)
I found this bed frame at a flea market and the appeal was that although it looked like a Jenny Lind, it was metal, and the fake wood grain was chipped off in places (bonus!)
Just my showing interest in it immediately knocked $10.00 off the asking price and I happily took it home feeling I had gotten a bargain.
It got my mattresses off of the floor!
The wood grain is no longer evident and is replaced by rust. The frame would be more at home stuck into a garden and planted with a "bed" of flowers.
But I am undaunted.
The bed was coming indoors once again, with a new look. If my son needed a twin sized bed, I might have just steel wooled away the worst rust, varnished it and preserved the aged look.
Rust is so IN now!
But the bed was needed for a little princess who wanted it painted pink. Thank goodness I couldn't find Rustoleum in that color at our local Walmart.
She would have to settle for white.
I passed on the spray cans, deciding that brushing it on was more cost effective (and the paint wouldn't be blown away by the breeze).
A cheap, $1.00 brush (disposable!) and a package of steel wool and I was equipped to "transform".
Oh how I hate sanding. It's just no fun, but it is the most important step if you want the paint to last. Rebecca even helped a little until she saw her little neighbor friends come out to play, then suddenly vanished.
I was on my own to paint two thin coats of paint, which was probably best.
I used barely half the pint can of paint and patted myself on the back for my frugality.
A bit of unintentional "character" I must point out.
Lucy, our St. Bernard, brushed past the tacky paint in pursuit of a motorcycle she heard roar by our yard. I didn't try very hard to remove the neat flag of fur she deposited, thinking more paint would cover it. Not! *sigh*. I was 98% done with the bed at that point and too tired to think about cleaning, sanding and repainting her mess. Oh well. Just one more reason to never part with this bed. It now has our dog's DNA imbedded in the finish!
It's definitely a family heirloom now!