Friday, December 2, 2011

Find the Treasure

Would you have bid on this box lot at an auction?

How much would you pay, and would you have gotten into a bidding war?

Well, you know I bought it.

But not because it had sewing notions in it.

Those were a bonus of sorts.


I bought the whole box because I saw this vintage red leather wallet in it.

They just don't make them like this anymore and this one turns out to be brand new, never used.

Still has the original papers in it (blank I.D. card, mock photo) which dated it to be the 1950s!
It's in my etsy shop now.


Now what else do you see?



I found another pair of scissors for my collection (!), some rusty and not so rusty tools (seam ripper, needle punch, awl, and screw driver) and a bit of serendipity--
red twist.
"No more twist" from the "Tailor of Glouchester".
"Cherry coloured" twist was used for the button holes.
The mice had run short before they could complete the waistcoat for the mayor's wedding.
One button hole short.
And here's the thread.
In my auction box.
ha!


I also found this lovely pink and green assortment which I plan to add to my shop.
Maybe need to dig into my own stash for a few more buttons, and trims.
Maybe I should add a hoop and it could be a kit of sorts.
One rather drab box can yield a lot!
I love the hunt!
Does it thrill you too?










8 comments:

Lorrie said...

I'd say that's quite a treasure box. Love the red twist! Be careful those mice don't come by for it.

my cup of tea said...

Oh yes I LOVE the hunt too! What an exciting box you won! I would have wanted it just for the pink and green items! Great buy!
~Donna~

Unknown said...

The red thread reminds me of The Tale of Despereaux also. Such a great book!

I was wondering if you might be able to put together a small box of tiny doodads I could use for my matchbox treasures. I'm running out of junk drawer finds and was hoping you might have what I need. I will pay or trade for it. LMK if that could be possible .....

Linda Jo said...

You are so good!!! I do love to buy old sewing treasures at estate sales!!! You are right...they don't make wallets like that anymore...everyone has their pictures on their blasted phones. hahaha

Ann said...

what was the photo in the wallet? i remember they had tab hunter and sandra dee!!
looks like you got a great find of goodies!!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Jackpot treasure box. Great haul. Peace, Mary helen Fernandez Stewart

Margaret said...

you really do have an eye for treasures! love the ric rac and the pearly buttons! Mx

ooglebloops said...

Catching up on my blog reading - first HAPPY B'DAY!!! And what GREAT scores at the auction!!!!! I'm drooling!!! Wish I had patience for auctions, maybe I should start going....... drop by for tea today, if you get a chance.