Friday, December 31, 2010

The Magic Suitcase

It took my mother-in-law several years to figure me out, but now she gives me the most amazing gifts for Christmas.
This year had to be the best!
This rough, metal clad suitcase is a treasure box.

Christmas afternoon at my in-laws' house I opened it to find not a set of encyclopedias, as I had joked, because it weighed a ton!, but several old Bibles and many old photos.
SWOOOOON!

Two of the Bibles are falling apart so I won't feel bad using their exquisitely detailed illustrations and beautifully aged manuscript pages in collages or swaps.
The one above is German, set in lovely old Germanic script (like Olde English).


The photos are varied.



Young, old and in between.
Last night, while taking pictures for this post, I got down to the very bottom of the suitcase and found old negatives in their original processing envelopes, dated from 1960-67.
Also a paid property tax receipt dated 1930 (two payment installments @ 79 cents for a half acre of property!) And, the most amazing prize-- a very ornate ribboned medal with metallic bullion fringe given to proud members of the National Wood Cutters Association. The name on the tattered envelope, holding the medal, matched the name on the paid tax receipt, so I can only assume it too is from the 1930s, maybe even earlier.
I don't think my mother-in-law realized the magnitude of her gift, since she hadn't fully plumbed its depths.
She just thought it was full of old Bibles.



Happy New Year to you, dear readers!
May it be a year of new discoveries, fresh ideas, exciting art and priceless treasures.
And may you enjoy good health in the pursuit of it all!
Today my husband and I are also celebrating 16 years of marriage.
That is just about a record these days!





12 comments:

ooglebloops said...

Wow!! That is a great Christmas gift!!!!!Glad your MIL finally "gets" you!!! Happy New Year!!

Yvonne said...

Oh my, what a wonderful gift of treasures. Looks like you will be busy creating more wonderful things in the new year. Happy anniversary also!

Linda Jo said...

Happy Anniversary! I love the old stuff you got.....wonderful gift! I have some negatives from the 1950's in their sleeves...the thing is the pictures are of ME! rofl

Joanna said...

Wonderful WONDERFUL suitcase full of absolute gems - hooray for MIL!

Wishing you a very Happy and Healthy New Year to you and your family.

xxx

Palimpa Lim said...

What a treasure trove! I'm jealous!
A very happy, creative and healthy New Year to you and your family!

Unknown said...

My mother in law is still trying to figure me out (lol) wondering why my furniture has peeling paint and chips and scratches .... You have done a good job communicating and connecting with her!

Happy anniversary .... A sweet 16!

Margaret said...

eeekk! what an awesome gift!! your MIL clearly knows you well! can't wait to see what yo do with this little lot in the New Year! All the best to you and yours!

~*~Patty S said...

Happy Happy Anniversary to you two Lovebirds!

Sweet and thoughtful MIL you have too...what a treasure trove AND a super suitcase to boot!

Happy 1/1/11
AND
a fantastic 2011 to you and yours!
oxo

carole brungar said...

ummmmm ... can I trade my MIL for your MIL?????

Dianne said...

Wow! What a gift! I'll be looking to see what comes of some of the pages and photos!

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Oh I am loving your magical suitcase ~ what treasures are stored inside ~ loved seeing them!
Happy New Year, Happy Anniversary, and blessings for many more wonderful years! Lovingly ~ Katie

Jeanie said...

Simply wonderful. What treasures! The suitcase reminds me of my friend in Paris -- quarters are VERY tight and he has several old suitcases -- packed to the brim with treasures that include ephemera, maps, ribbon -- whatever! Yours is a treasure -- i nside and out!